At the University of Iowa, you will enjoy the excitement and energy of a Big Ten university and major research institution with the relaxed atmosphere of a small town. Likewise, the School of Music's enrollment of 450 majors is large enough to sustain strong programs in all areas of specialization, yet small enough to ensure the individual attention essential to each student’s development.
The UI School of Music has a faculty of more than 60 artists and scholars dedicated to providing a solid musical education to our students. Our faculty are not only experienced and admired educators, but are some of the world's finest and most respected performers, scholars, conductors, composers, and music therapists. View faculty profiles.
Ensembles are the core of the School of Music. More than thirty ensembles, large and small, enable every level of student to continue their passion for music making throughout their studies. Every ensemble emphasizes a high level of discipline and professionalism, and present a number of concerts each semester both on and off campus.
The success of UI School of Music graduates is a testament to the quality of their education. Our programs prepare students to reach their individual goals, from graduate school to a post-grad appointment. Recent UI graduates are performing with orchestras and opera companies, teaching in universities and schools, and working in performing arts.
Arts Living Learning Community
Students can enrich their experience at Iowa by choosing to live in the Arts Living Learning Community. Since 2010, the Division of Performing Arts and the School of Art & Art History have shared a living learning community that nourishes and inspires artists from all of the visual and performing arts disciplines. The community is open to first- and second-year students majoring in the visual, creative, and performing arts.
Our Campus and Community
Our campus is beautiful, pedestrian-friendly, and right next to Iowa City's student-oriented downtown. Social events, sports, and scenery—they are all here, and they are close to or on our campus.
- Entertainment. Enjoy live theater, concerts, guest lectures, art exhibits, museums, and bookstores without leaving campus.
- Easy access. Live three blocks from Kinnick Stadium, one block from the Iowa River, or four blocks from downtown in one of our residence halls.
- Recreation. Read a book on the Pentacrest, join one of the more than 400 student organizations (including 18 social fraternities and 17 sororities), or toss a Frisbee at Hubbard Park.
- Athletics. Cheer for the Hawkeyes during Big Ten athletics action, including more than 170 home games, or play intramural basketball at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center.
- Scenery. Walk the scenic banks of the Iowa River, ride the Iowa River Trail, or rent a kayak at Lake Macbride State Park.
- Shopping. Shop national chain stores at the Coral Ridge Mall, or patronize the eclectic boutiques near the heart of campus.
- More: See Student Life.