Practice Room Policies
All practice rooms are reserved for UI students with a valid ID. Preference will be given to music majors, minors, or those students enrolled in applied lessons.
Most practice rooms can be used on a first-come, first-served basis. Students enrolled in a music class may use their HawkID and password to reserve rooms for individual or small group practice or to check room availability on arrival at Voxman Music Building on their smart phones. The scheduling app is available at practice.music.uiowa.edu. Practice rooms may be reserved up to seven days in advance for up to three hours per day.
Please note that your presence in the room does not guarantee that you will be able to remain in the room indefinitely. There could be another student coming who has already reserved the room on the online system. Students arriving at Voxman with reservations have priority.
In order to ensure that a general use practice room is free for the time period you desire, please access the scheduling application on your phone at practice.music.uiowa.edu, check to be sure the room is free, and reserve the room for the amount of time you’d like to practice.
Please note that no-shows count toward your weekly reservation limit of 21 hours. If you decide you are not going to use a time that you’ve reserved, please be sure to cancel your reservation so that it doesn’t count against you. Canceling unwanted reservations also frees up rooms for others.
All practice rooms on the 4th and 5th floor of Voxman Music Building are 30 minute warm-up rooms intended for use prior to lessons or rehearsals. These rooms cannot be reserved in advance. Please be considerate of others and adhere to the 30 minute limit.
Special practice rooms, including Organ/Harp/Smart Music/Grand Piano/Harpsichord may also be reserved by majors in those areas at practice.music.uiowa.edu. Keys are required for these rooms which can be checked out at the main desk in the first floor lobby with a valid UI student ID. Reservations are required to guarantee use of these rooms:
- Organ: 204, 340, 391, 395
- Grand Piano: 305, 306, 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350, 351, 390, 392
- Drum Set: 379
- Smart Music/Garage Band: 373
- Smart Music/Garage Band: 375
- Harpsichord: 377
Practice Room Policies
- Most practice rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis during regular Voxman Music Building hours.
- Teaching is not allowed in practice rooms. Teaching spaces will be assigned by School of Music staff.
- No food or drink except closed containers of water are allowed in practice rooms. Do not place personal belongings, instrument cases, or water bottles on the pianos and please use the Student Commons Area for food or drink.
- Windows must be left uncovered at all times.
- Do not leave instruments or valuables unattended. The University of Iowa is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Any room left unattended for more than 15 minutes can be occupied by another student. Instruments, back packs and other belongings cannot be left in a practice room to reserve it for an absent person. Belongings should not be removed from the room, but will be collected by the absent person upon their return. The absent person forfeits their right to the room if gone more than 15 minutes.
- Music stands, chairs, and other School of Music equipment may not be removed from a practice room area. Please do not bring stands or chairs from other areas of the building to the practice room area. Please report missing equipment to the reception desk in the main lobby. UI School of Music property should never leave the Voxman Music Building.
- Practice rooms are reserved for music practicing only. Please do not use practice rooms for studying or resting.
- Please use the percussion rooms for percussion practice.
- Please report any problems or building/room condition issues to the reception desk in the first floor lobby.