You are here

Graduate FAQ

Student making a presentation in the recital hall

Entrance Auditions
Degree Programs
International Students
Requirements after acceptance
Information on Campus/Iowa City
General Information About the School of Music
Contact Information


University admission information: 
School of Music admission information:

Do I need to apply to the University of Iowa before I schedule an audition?
Yes, prospective Music students must apply to the Graduate College at the University of Iowa. Applicants should apply to the University of Iowa online at If that is not possible, please contact the Office of Admissions at 319-335-3847.  

What are the application procedures for the M.A., D.M.A. and Ph.D?
Applicants should submit the following documents to the University:

What are the application deadlines for the University of Iowa?
Please see detailed information regarding your program at

What are the application deadlines for the School of Music?
December 1 

What minimum requirements must I meet to be admitted into the School of Music?
Admission is based on School of Music and Graduate College requirements. Acceptance into a School of Music performance degree program is dependent upon completion of an audition, acceptance by the major professor, and the approval of the Associate Director of Graduate Studies. The minimum requirements for admission to the Graduate College are:

  • A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited American college or university, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions
  • A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions
  • English Proficiency Requirements (for international students)

Should I schedule an interview with the School of Music?
An interview is required if you are applying for the PhD in Music Education. If you are applying for any other graduate degree, an interview is not required. We highly recommend you visit with faculty from your area of interest and become familiar with the department.

Can I transfer into the University of Iowa School of Music from a different university or college?
Yes. After students are accepted courses will be evaluated for transfer credits.

Does the School of Music offer spring admission?
Yes, students may enter either fall or spring semester.

When will I know if I have been accepted at The University of Iowa?
Please see "Check Your Application Status" at

Are there scholarships and/or assistantships available?
Graduate students are considered for departmental assistantships and fellowships at the time of their audition. Prospective students should submit completed graduate school applications by December 1 for consideration. Assistantship awards are made in writing in April.

Entrance Auditions

When and where are the auditions?
Auditions are scheduled directly with the head of the studio. Please visit the individual page for your program of interest to find out more about the audition process.

If I am already a student at the University of Iowa, do I still need to audition?
A senior recital by a current University of Iowa undergraduate student may serve as the M.A. audition provided the major professor is notified of this intent prior to the recital.

Can I send in an audition DVD and/or CD in lieu of a live audition?
Yes, and requirements are listed on each program’s webpage.

May I change my audition day once I am scheduled?
Yes, please contact your faculty to make any changes.

How do I prepare for my audition? What should I bring?
Requirements are listed on your program’s webpage. Speak with a faculty member about specific information regarding preparation.

Do I need to sign up for a practice room before my audition?
No, practice rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Do I need an accompanist for my audition?
Accompanists will be provided for vocal auditions only.

How early do I have to be there for my audition?
Please come at least 15-20 minutes prior to your audition to warm up.

Can I get feedback on the audition?
Yes, feedback can be obtained by contacting the auditioning faculty.

Can I request a specific faculty member I would like to study with if I am accepted?
Yes, you can before and after auditions. If a program only provides one faculty member, you will be required to study with him/her.

I would like to visit the School of Music before I register for my audition. Is that possible?
Yes, come by and visit us. Please contact the head of your studio. You can observe classes and meet with professors and students.

May I take a trial lesson from faculty?
This depends on individual faculty preference. Most faculty are more than happy to schedule a trial lesson.

Degree Programs

What programs are offered through the School of Music?
Students may work toward a Master of Arts, Doctor of Philosophy, or Doctor of Musical Arts in fourteen areas. The school also offers a theory pedagogy minor. To view the different areas and degrees, visit

International Students

Information on admissions:

English proficiency requirements:


What different ensembles are there?
See a complete list of ensembles.

How do I audition for School of Music ensembles?
Auditions for ensembles are held the first week of fall semester. Students interested in auditioning should refer to Ensemble Auditions for audition information.

Requirements after Acceptance

Do I need to take placement exams?
New graduate students are required to take placement exams in music history and theory. Exams are held the Friday and Saturday before Fall semesters and by appointment only for Spring.
Music Therapy and Music Education Ph.D. students are exempt from these exams.

When is new student orientation?
New student orientation and graduate events are scheduled for the week prior to start of classes; details are e-mailed mid-June.

Will any of my college credits transfer?
Transcripts are evaluated by the University at large for general transfer credits. Within the School of Music, we offer specific course transfers.

Information about Iowa City and the UI Campus

Where should I live?
Information on university apartments:

What is the weather like in Iowa City?
The average temperatures in Iowa City are as follows:

  • January temp: 13 to 30 F
  • April temp: 41 to 63 F
  • July temp: 66 to 88 F
  • October temp: 44 to 66 F
  • Annual precipitation: 37.2 inches

General Information about the School of Music

Where is the School of Music located?
The School of Music is located near the heart of downtown Iowa City. Our address is 93 East Burlington Street, Iowa City, IA 52242. See a map>>

How big is the School of Music?
The School of Music consists of approximately 200 graduate students, 250 undergraduate students and another 710 non-majors participating in lessons, ensembles, and classes. The school employs 60 faculty members, 80 TAs, and 10 RAs.

What is the student to faculty ratio in the School of Music?
The ratio is 9:1.

How many performance opportunities are there for graduates?
There are over 35 performing ensembles at the University of Iowa. From the 250-piece Hawkeye Marching Band to intimate chamber groups, the UI School of Music has performing ensembles for musicians of all abilities.

Do I need to sign up for a practice room?
Practice rooms are on a first-come, first-served basis.

Where do I store my percussion, harp, tuba, or double bass?
The School of Music maintains lockers for students in Voxman Music Building. Information on obtaining a locker is on this web site:

Is the University of Iowa on the semester or quarter system?
The University of Iowa uses the semester system.

Contact Information

If I still have questions, who can I talk to?
Please contact the Academic Office at 319-335-1604,, or at 93 East Burlington Street, Iowa City, IA 52242.