Short Hours Form
The Short Hours Form is an on-line request that must be completed by the Graduate Coordinator, Pauline Wieland. Students are not allowed to complete the on-line request. If a student does send a form into the system it will be deleted. The form must be approved by both the student's advisor and the department DEO.
The intent of this form is as follows:
- The student may be obtaining financial aid and needs to be at least a half-time student.
- The student may be deferring previous student loans and needs to be at least a half-time student.
- IRS regulations state that a student employee has to be doing research in fulfillment of their degree and enrolled as at least a half-time student in order to qualify as exempt from FICA withholdings.
To request a Short Hours Form students must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- Full Name and UID Number
- Faculty Advisor's Full Name
- Session(s) for certification: Fall, Spring, Summer (This document can cover a calendar year (January through December) OR an academic year (Summer Session through Spring Semester.)
- Status of Enrollment: Full-Time
- From the options below list the activity that is the reason for the request that is not reflected in the current registration.
Due to federal regulations, ONLY the criteria LISTED below are considered valid activities for fulfilling this form. All reasons work CONCURRENTLY with a registration during the selected session(s)/semester(s).
- Research in fulfillment of a degree requirement
- Writing a dissertation or thesis
- Preparing a prospectus
- Gaining facility in a foreign language/other tools
- Preparing for a comprehensive/final examination
- Research/Teaching Assistantship (RA/TA)
Students who require a Short Hours Form for a previous time period must do the request by paper form and those forms are located in the Academic Office, 1400G VOX.