Strings M.A., D.M.A.
The string program at The University of Iowa School of Music offers a comprehensive framework of private lessons, major performing ensembles, master classes, chamber music coaching, literature classes, and performance seminars driven by the broad experience of its faculty. Alumni hold positions in major orchestras and chamber ensembles, and teach at universities and conservatories around the world.
Our faculty is committed to a strong educational ethic at all levels of teaching, and we are committed to giving each student the best educational experience possible. Our program at Iowa has several distinct advantages:
- A curriculum centered on a close teacher/student relationship with weekly private instruction supported by weekly Studio Seminars. Intensive personal attention to each student carries on to large and small ensembles.
- Nationally accredited degree programs
- A unique chamber music experience with the newly established University of Iowa String Quartet Residency Program. Student ensembles have worked with such notable professional quartets as the JACK Quartet, the Linden Quartet, and the Cavani Quartet during their residencies at Iowa. These residencies provide unique interaction with the quartets and in outreach performance experiences.
- Master classes and performances with renowned guest artists.
- Numerous opportunities and venues for solo and chamber music performance.
- A dynamic string faculty who regularly perform and teach around the United States and the world.
- Opportunities for intensive study of orchestral repertoire and audition preparation.
- Opportunities to study and perform on baroque instruments.
String Master Classes
String students benefit from a variety of guest master classes and concerts from internationally-acclaimed artists, including:
Violin: Frank Almond, Charles Castleman, Paul Kantor, Jeremy Kittel, Sally O'Reilly, David Perry, William Preucil, Stanley Ritchie, Sheryl Staples, Almita Vamos
Viola: Nancy Buck, Jeffrey Irvine, Pamela Ryan, Peter Slowick
Cello: Zuill Bailey, Colin Carr, Bonnie Hampton, Joel Krosnick, Mark Summer
Double Bass: Robert Black, Christopher Brown, Craig Butterfield, Diana Gannett, Edgar Meyer, David Murray, John Patitucci, Paul Sharpe, Anthony Stoops, Hans Sturm
Chamber Music: American String Quartet, Arianna Quartet, Ariel Quartet, Brentano String Quartet, Kenji Bunch, Calder Quartet, Cavani String Quartet, Chiara String Quaret, Daedalus Quartet, Emerson String Quartet, Dalí Quartet , Fry Street Quartet, Jupiter Quartet, Kronos Quartet, JACK Quartet, Jasper String Quartet, Joel Krosnick, Jupiter String Quartet, Lark Quartet, Linden String Quartet, Anne-Marie McDermott, Miro Quartet, Pacifica Quartet, Navah Perlman, Caroline Shaw, David Schifrin, St. Lawrence String Quartet, Ying Quartet
- UI Symphony Orchestra
- Chamber Orchestra
- Opera orchestra
- Chamber music and concerto competitions
- Student recitals
- Studio seminars
- Master classes
- Chamber music master classes and seminars
- Numerous orchestras and performing opportunities outside the University
For more information about The University of Iowa string area, please contact Scott Conklin at (319) 335-1645 or firstname.lastname@example.org.