Graduate Viola Auditions
String Audition Days
- February 9
- February 10
- February 16
- February 17
Application and Audition Registration
Please see Graduate Admission for School of Music application and audition registration information February 1.
No prescreening required
- First movement from a major viola concerto, including, but not limited to, those by: Hindemith, Walton, Bartok, Higdon, Tower, Piston, Harbison, Schnittke, Hoffmeister, Stamitz, Penderecki, Bowen, Forsythe
- 2 movements of solo Bach (Cello Suite or Violin Sonatas & Partitas)
- 2 contrasting movements from works for viola and piano or solo viola in contrasting styles. (Please select works that are also in contrasting styles from your concerto.)
- Memorization not required
Audition materials should be thoroughly prepared and approximately 20 minutes in length.
No accompaniment required
No technical requirements
Suggested or Required Repertoire
Please reach out to Professor Rutledge for repertoire suggestions
Auditions will be judged on current technical and expressive abilities, the potential for growth, and the desire to learn.
Unfortunately, due to the nature of the audition and number of applicants, we will not be able to provide individual comments. All decisions made will be final.
When am I considered for scholarship?
- You are considered for scholarship at the time of audition
When will I hear about my results?
- You will be notified via formal letter about your audition results and music scholarship results in early March
Professor Christine Rutledge