Undergraduate Horn Auditions
Candidates should prepare a 10 minute audition, of music which showcases their best playing. Piano accompaniment is not required for horn auditions.
Having trouble finding music? PDFs of suggested pieces are available from Dr. Ambrose, contact email@example.com
Horn auditions will only be held on the last three audition dates, February 5th, 12th, and 19th.
For more information and to register for an audition, please see Undergraduate Auditions.
Suggested Audition Repertoire:
- Two contrasting etudes and one movement of a solo piece
Example Etude books:
- Jacques-François Gallay, 12 Etudes for Second Horn, Op. 57
- Georg Kopprasch, 60 Selected Studies
- Maxime-Alphonse, New Melodic and Gradual Studies for Horn, Book 2
- Max P. Pottag, Preparatory Melodies to Solo Work
- John R. Shoemaker, Legato Etudes for Horn
Example solo pieces:
- Eugene Bozza, Chant Lointain
- Paul Dukas, Villanelle
- Rheinhold Gliere, Four Pieces, Op. 35 (select one)
- W.A. Mozart, Concerto No. 3, KV 447, movement 1
- Camille Saint-Saens, Morceau de Concert, Op. 94, movement 1
- Franz Strauss, Concerto, Op. 8, movement 1
- Richard Strauss, Concerto No. 1, Op. 11, movement 1
- Gilbert Vinter, Hunter’s Moon
Contact Professor Katy Ambrose.