Undergraduate Horn Auditions
**All Auditions for Fall 2021 Admission will be conducted Virtually**
Candidates should prepare two contrasting selections from the standard repertoire for their instrument, which may include solos, etudes and/or orchestral excerpts. Audition material should be thoroughly prepared, approximately 8 to 10 minutes in length, and represent the candidate’s best playing.
Undergraduate auditions should be submitted through the Music Supplemental Application by February 1, 2021
Applicants will be able to submit a minimum of 2 video links and a maximum of 4.
For more information and to register for an audition, please see Undergraduate Auditions.
Suggested Audition Repertoire:
- Two works (either an etude or movement of a solo) of contrasting styles, one lyrical, one technical.
- Kopprasch – 60 Studies
- Maxime-Alphonse – Book 1 or 2
- Pottag - Preparatory Melodies
- Shaw - Just Desserts
- Shoemaker - Legato Etudes for Horn
- Musser & Del Borgo - Rhythm of Contemporary Music
- Mozart – Concerto No. 1
- Franz Strauss – Nocturno
- Saint-Saens - Morceau de Concert
- Cooke - Rondo in Bb
- Effinger - Rondo
- Krol - Laudatio
- Gliere - Intermezzo; Nocturne, Romance
- Piantoni - Air de Chasse
- Cherubini - Sonata No. 1
- Glazunov - Reverie
- Corrette - Concerto in C major "La Choisy"
Optional: Orchestral Excerpts:
- Tchaikovsky – Cantabile solo from Symphony No. 5, Mvt 2 (Hn 1)
- Mendelssohn – Nocturne from Midsummer Night's Dream (Hn 1)
- Beethoven – Scherzo from Sym. No. 3 "Eroica" (Hn 2)
- Brahms – Sym. No. 3, Mvt. 3 (Hn 1)
Contact Jeffrey Agrell, associate professor of horm