Double Reed Clinics and Competition
Saturday, November 10, 2018
9:00 am – 6:00 pm
Voxman Music Building, 93 East Burlington Street, Iowa City
For all beginning, intermediate, & advanced oboe & bassoon students
- Clinics with University of Iowa Professors Courtney Miller and Benjamin Coelho
- Reed making instruction
- Double reed ensembles
- Clinic for band directors
- Young Artist Competition
Registration is $20 per person for the day includes pizza lunch.
Please register by Monday, November 5.
YOUNG ARTIST COMPETITION
Oboe and Bassoon High School Students
Entrants will perform one work or movement of a solo piece with piano accompaniment with duration not to exceed ten minutes. Memorization is not required. The competition is open to the public.
An accompanist is required for all contestants. If you cannot bring your own accompanist, one can be provided for a $25 fee. If you would like to have an accompanist provided, please contact Professor Alan Huckleberry (email@example.com) to make the necessary arrangements. The fee should be paid directly to Professor Huckleberry. Contestants will be notified a few days in advance regarding a rehearsal time with the accompanist on the day of the competition.
The following prizes will be awarded in both the oboe and bassoon categories:
• 1st Prize: $150 + Certificate
• 2nd Prize: $100 + Certificate
• 3rd Prize: $75 + Certificate
• Honorable Mentions: Certificate
CLINIC FOR BAND DIRECTORS
We will be offering a free clinic specially designed for band directors to offer them resources and information that will aid them in getting beginning double reed students started with ease and confidence. In this hour-long clinic we will discuss general tips and ideas for making the process clear and simple for both the student and the band director. Topics to be covered will include reeds, beginning techniques, basic instrument maintenance, repertory, instrument purchase, and student growth.
- Participants arrive; Welcome and Warm-up time
- Double Reed ensemble reading and rehearsal. Competition Contestants rehearsal
- Choice of oboe clinics and small ensembles with Iowa Grad Students
- Bassoon Reed Master class with Professor Benjamin Coelho
11:30 am-12:30 pm
- Choice of bassoon clinics and small ensembles with Iowa Grad Students
- Oboe Reed Master class with Professor Courtney Miller
- Oboe/Bassoon Competition
12:30-1:30 Lunch Break
- Master Class with Professor Benjamin Coelho
- Master Class with Professor Courtney Miller
- Oboe/Bassoon Clinic for Band Directors conducted by Miller and Coelho
- Oboe/Bassoon small ensembles
- Double Reed ensemble rehearsal for concert
- Concert performance of the competition winners and double reed ensemble