Bachelor of Music, Strings
The string program at the University of Iowa carries on a long tradition of teaching excellence. Our faculty is committed to a strong educational ethic at all levels of teaching. Our string majors come from many walks of life, and whether they are performance majors, education or music therapy majors, we are committed to giving each student the best educational experience possible. Our alumni hold positions in major orchestras and chamber ensembles, and teach at universities, conservatories, and schools around the world.
Our program has several distinct advantages:
- A curriculum centered on a close teacher/student relationship with weekly private instruction supported by weekly Studio Seminars
- Nationally accredited degree programs
- Undergraduate students may earn their Bachelor of Music in Performance and K-12 Music Teaching Certification, or Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy, an approved program by the American Music Therapy Association
- A unique chamber music experience with the newly established University of Iowa String Quartet Residency Program. Student ensembles have worked with such notable professional quartets as the JACK Quartet, the Linden Quartet, and the Cavani Quartet during their residencies at Iowa. These residencies provide unique interaction with the quartets and in outreach performance experiences.
- Master classes and performances with renowned guest artists (see below)
- Numerous opportunities and venues for solo and chamber music performance
- A dynamic string faculty who regularly perform and teach around the United States and the world
- Opportunities for intensive study of orchestral repertoire and audition preparation
- Opportunities to study and perform on baroque instruments
Students choose Iowa not only for the pedagogical and artistic strength of our faculty and the numerous performance opportunities on and around campus, but for the excitement and vibrant community that comes with a Big Ten school.
String Master Classes
String students benefit from a variety of guest master classes and concerts from internationally-acclaimed artists, including:
Violin: Frank Almond, Charles Castleman, Paul Kantor, Jeremy Kittel, Sally O'Reilly, David Perry, William Preucil, Stanley Ritchie, Sheryl Staples, Almita Vamos
Viola: Nancy Buck, Jeffrey Irvine, Pamela Ryan, Peter Slowick
Cello: Zuill Bailey, Colin Carr, Bonnie Hampton, Joel Krosnick, Mark Summer
Double Bass: Robert Black, Christopher Brown, Craig Butterfield, Diana Gannett, Edgar Meyer, David Murray, John Patitucci, Paul Sharpe, Anthony Stoops, Hans Sturm
Chamber Music: American String Quartet, Arianna Quartet, Ariel Quartet, Brentano String Quartet, Kenji Bunch, Calder Quartet, Cavani String Quartet, Chiara String Quaret, Daedalus Quartet, Emerson String Quartet, Dalí Quartet , Fry Street Quartet, Jupiter Quartet, Kronos Quartet, JACK Quartet, Jasper String Quartet, Joel Krosnick, Jupiter String Quartet, Lark Quartet, Linden String Quartet, Anne-Marie McDermott, Miro Quartet, Pacifica Quartet, Navah Perlman, Caroline Shaw, David Schifrin, St. Lawrence String Quartet, Ying Quartet